Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Experiment vs. Journey

I saw a billboard tonight that said "Life is an experiment". It really got me to thinking. I have always been told that "life is a journey." So what is the difference?

Webster defines these words as:
"Experiment": an operation or procedure carried out in controlled conditions in order to discover an unknown effect or law.

"Journey": an act or instance of traveling from one place to another.

So what do I want my life to be? An experiment?, where I don't know the outcome, or a journey, where I know the final destination? All of my experience with experiments have usually ended in something being blown up - and I really don't want to have to pick up the pieces of life anymore, for myself, or for anyone else. My experience with journey's have always been favorable. They usually include maps, and final destinations - yes, sometimes they include detours or slow downs for construction, but in the end we always ended up where we were supposed to.

John 14:2b - 4 (Amplified) "for I am going away to prepare a place for you. And when (if) I go and make ready a place for you, I will come back again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also. And (to the place) where I am going, you know the way."

This scripture certainly doesn't sound like an experiment, but a journey. So I am going to stick to the saying that "Life is a journey". I've got my road map (the Bible), extra things for the detours and slow downs (worship music and awesome Christian books and speaker tapes), and my final destination all mapped out. I'm excited to see where this road takes me in the next few weeks/months/ and years as I continue to trust my Pilot. I know the ultimate destination, but it might be a scenic trip - and for that I am excited to see what God is going to do.

Let me re-assure those of you, who are content to make life an experiment, if it blows up and I see you sitting along side of the road, don't worry I will stop and see what I can do, but remember, I won't sit there long because I have a final destination that is calling me, so be willing to make up your mind quickly.

Just a few of my thoughts,
As I am walking with the King,
Sandy

No comments: