Sunday, April 26, 2009

A reflection of who????????

Yesterday I had the wonderful experience of babysitting an awesome little boy. He is 1 yr, 3 months and a bundle of pure energy and joy. As he was running around the apartment, he became fascinated by the mirrors in the bedroom. I had to smile as he would go by them, and at first give it just a minor glance, but as the time went on, he was standing there carrying out a full blown conversation with the little boy across from him. It was so funny - he would wave his hands, and just carry on, with no concept that it was his reflection.

Today has been an interesting afternoon for me, lots going on in my brain. As I sat out on the waterfront watching the sun setting - I thought about the reflection of the sun on the ocean, and the mirror image it produced. It was really great. But then my thoughts turned to more spiritual things.

In Genesis 1:27 - it states that "God created man in his own image" - so if we were created in HIS image, we should be a reflection of Him. Unfortunately in our humanity we screw things up constantly and do not give off a really good reflection of the image that we were created in.

But I think that many years ago, Paul realized this, when he wrote in 1 Corinthians 13:12 "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face....". It seems like when I look in the mirror, I just see me, in all my failing humanity.

I can't wait until I look in the mirror, get excited the way that Joshua did, because there is a "different" person looking back at me - that being the image of Christ, until the day when I can actually see Him face to face.

I'm probably "preaching to the choir" so to speak, but I know for myself - I have a long long way to go. I'm just glad that He is patient with me. So until that day that I see Him face to face, I will strive to be a better reflection of Him. Anyone care to join me in the journey walking with the King?

No comments: