Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Power of Peer Pressure

The last couple of mornings I have had the opportunity to get up before the sun, here in Grand Cayman. It is currently Holy week here, and we have been having church at 6:00 each morning.
This morning I realized something. Usually when I head outside - it is still dark and the "resident" rooster is still asleep. I have been enjoying the quiet first thing in the mornings, as I am outside waiting for a friend to pick me up, so we can attend church together.

This morning, the neighbor guy was outside, ready to take a friend to the airport early - and as we were talking, I guess our resident rooster heard us talking - and started crowing - remind you that the sun is still yet not up. Within about 5 minutes, all over the area, you could hear the roosters crowing, but yet the sun is not up - so much for them being a great alarm clock. hahaha
It seemed like in a matter of minutes all you could hear were these crowing roosters, all over the immediate area.

One of the radio programs for children, here on the island, talks about the animals and how God made them. Coincidentally one of the programs last week was about roosters and how they, the roosters, are actually very very insecure. Now please don't ask me which psychologist interviewed the roosters to find out this amazing fact - but as they kept on talking about the roosters, it began to make sense. If you think about it a rooster doesn't do anything - and any predator animal, dog, cat, iguana, etc would very easily be able to kill them, they don't fly much and they don't run fast, and so God has given them this obnoxiously shrill crow - that scares everything off. They shared other traits about the rooster, but that crowing really stuck in my mind. At times it is ear piercing, and this morning I just wanted to tell them to shut up - they were ruining my peace and quiet. But the more I listened, the more fascinated I became - 1 rooster crowing - and within minutes I'm sure, as small as this island is, the roosters all over the island were crowing - how's that for giving in to peer pressure.

When my friend arrived, so that we could go to church together, during the drive she thanked me for going to church with her, because if I hadn't been here, she wasn't sure that she would have gotten up each morning to cross the island for just a 30 minute service. We talked about how Christians are to build one another us and the importance of it. After coming home and thinking about it a little more - you can think about some of these things when you are on vacation ;) - I realized that the scripture had lots to say about this.

Proverbs 27:17 (AMP) Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend [to show rage or worthy purpose].

1 Thessalonians 5:11Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another, just as you are doing.

Hebrews 3:13But instead warn (admonish, urge, and encourage) one another every day, as long as it is called Today, that none of you may be hardened [into settled rebellion] by the deceitfulness of sin [by the fraudulence, the stratagem, the trickery which the delusive glamor of his sin may play on him.

As we claim to be Christians, my question becomes this - do we just give off a shrill sound to the world - in such a way that all they want to do is tell us to shut up, or are we truly encouraging one another onto bigger and more important things for the gospel of Christ - strengthening one another - so that the enemy can't sneak up and attack us.

I have a feeling that I am going to think about this sort of thing everytime I hear a rooster crow. I certainly hope that I don't sound like a rooster to those around me, but what comes from me, both verbal and non-verbal is beneficial to those around me. Just a thought for today - as I continue to walk with the King.

1 comment:

Becky said...

That was good, San.