Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Are we not the Army of God?

I am surprised by how easily we adjust to our environments. While in the Cayman Islands, several of the places I have stayed, have been in the direct flight pattern of the airport, and so airplanes flying overhead, LOW, are the norm. Rosie asked me one day if I was able to take a nap with the planes going overhead and I said sure why not. I guess after the first couple planes, you learn to tune them out.

This last Sunday, the pastor was preaching on the story of David and Goliath. As we were reading the scriptures, something really caught my attention this time - 1 Samuel 17:26b states:
For who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?

This is what David asked after first encountering Goliath and hearing him spew his garbage against the Israelites, and their God.

I guess what makes me so frustrated is this: Are we not the armies of the Living God? Do we, those of us who claim to be Christians, actually realize that we are the armies of the Living God? And if we do realize this, why are we cowering back, much like the Israelites, when the world, around us, spews garbage all over our God? Have we become so “de-sensitized” to the garbage? This has really been on my heart the last couple days.

The last couple of days I have tried to keep track of language around me: people, TV, Radio, internet; the thoughts and views presented, through those same venues, etc - and am in many ways I have to admit I am shocked at how prevalent disrespect to God and Christianity in general is. There is a church that is actually considering making condoms available to their youth groups - what happened to teaching the scriptures, and not what society says is okay. When are we, God’s army, going to stand up and take back our culture and society to the beliefs that are benefical for our families and ultimately our place in eternity.

Much like I have become desensitized to the planes right over head, I have had to spend time in repentance for cowering back and let the enemy spew garbage against MY God. Please let us band together and stand up for what we know is right, regardless of the stand that society takes on it.

Philippians 4:8 (Amplified Bible)
For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].

I think that we need to make sure that we think on, weigh, and take account for these things, but we also need to make sure that this is the standard for what we watch, listen to, ponder, and allow to filter into our homes, and our heads. Time that we stand up and take back our promised land from those who are so quick to defy and ridicule our God. Guess it is something I am going to work hard on doing - want to join me in the effort?

No comments: