Friday, July 9, 2010

Mt Moriah Experience

Many people have been e-mailing me, and sending me messages asking me to explain my reference to "my Mt. Moriah experience", that I have referenced in several of my blogs.

In Genesis 22, the scriptures tell of Abraham, who is asked to sacrifice Isaac, the son that Abraham prayed for, for many years. When Abraham was told to do this, the next morning, he got up, took Isaac up Mt. Moriah, and prepared to sacrifice him to the Lord. At the last moment, Abraham saw a ram in the thicket, and was able to sacrifice it, in place of his only son. The whole 'gist' of this account, is that Abraham was willing to obey God no matter what he was asked to do. Obedience is better than sacrifice. Isaac was 'something' that could have taken the place of God in Abraham's life, but in doing what God asked, Abraham proved that God was #1.

A song that has really hit me in the heart about this is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFWsx5KJJ4o. It is by Ernie Haase and Signature Sound. When I first heard this song, it was in a completely different text, and I feel God showed it to me, to help someone else - but now it is so so fitting for what is happening in my life now.

Now that I got the "Mt Moriah" explanation out of the way, let me go into detail as to how this pertains to me. I recieved a phone call from a wonderful prayer partner of mine, the first part of May. I was going through a real struggle in my life, and just could NOT figure out what God was trying to teach me. Now my wonderful prayer partner is an elderly lady, has been pivotal in keeping me "in line" (LOL - if that is possible) for at least 7-8 years now. There was one point in my life, that she would call me every morning and pray with me, and this lasted for well over 15 months. I can talk to her about anything, and she is a great mentor for me - always being honest with me, and always willing to correct me if necessary. Anyway, Ms Emma called me the first part of May and after we talked for a bit, she asked me if I remembered the Bible Story about Abraham and Isaac. Of course I did and we discussed that a little bit and the importance of Keeping God first. She then told me that she really felt that God was getting ready to do something in my life and take me to a different level, but before He could do that, I was going to have to go through a Mt Moriah experiance. I was going to have to give up, some temporarily and some permanently, anything that would hold me back either physically or spiritually from doing what God wants me to be doing. Basically God is going to have to strip me of anything and everything, that isn't necessary, that could become a stumbling block in my relationship with Him, and in my service for and to Him. He gave me some very specific examples of things and people, that were going to have to be put on the back burner, and I'm not sure if they are there temporarily or indefinately. From there, I felt strong in my spirit that I needed to get a new Bible. For those of you who know me well, know how important my Bible is to me, but I had to get a new one, for a "fresh word" from God. I can use my other 2 favorite ones from time to time, but when I am reading, I need to have a "clean" one. I have to admit, that I'm having fun reading, out of a Bible that isn't all marked up, fortunately this one is starting to get marked up also .

I'm not really sure what God is in the process of doing, but I really feel that the "revealing" will take place in November, when I am on a trip. This will be a time, where He hopefully will show me exactly what He wants me to do with my life, at this stage that I am in right now. It is so interesting to see how things/people, even myself, can become a stumbling block in my relationship with God. I am working hard to make sure that everything and everyone, in my life, is there with a purpose of making me a stronger Christian, with a stronger witness, for My Lord. As He is "trimming" my life, so to speak, He keeps reminding me, that in this time in my life, what He wants right now, is "an audience of one". He is looking for a deeply intense relationship with me - where all is stripped away, allowing me to trust Him with all of me. Not just parts of me, because I am depending on other people or things to provide that which He wants to provide for me, in all areas of my life - actions, thoughts, emotions, desires, dreams, faults and failures.

At times, I am really excited, but I have to be honest, that at times, it is really painful, and I feel like things are being "ripped" from me - and I don't like it. But.......... I guess, if I would be willing to give some of this up, maybe it would be easier to get through this time. I guess even during this time, I am only human and need to learn to be patient with myself.

Hopefully this explains just a little about the "Mt Moriah experience". I will try to keep you posted on all that God is doing in this area.

Just a few of my thoughts,
As I am walking with the King,
Sandy



No comments: